And they were 10… The last standing SAMA 23 Record of the Year Award finalists will slug it out for the top spot in the prestigious category. The Top 10 were announced on SABC1’s Live Amp tonight to much excitement and fanfare. It has been a competitive four weeks of campaigning and a hard fought public vote and only the best have risen to the top.
Welcoming the news, RiSA CEO Nhlanhla Sibisi comments: ‘It’s an exciting mash-up of genres and influences that reflect a vibrant music industry. We look forward to a nail-biting finish with music fans and supporters making their voice heard.’
Following the announcement, fans are encouraged to continue voting on *120*33123# until Saturday May 27 at 9pm, to ensure that their favourite song eventually scoops the trophy on the big night.
The SAMA 23 Top 20 is based on independent radio tracking companies, Radio Monitor South Africa and BMAT South Africa, which track the number of times songs are played on local radio stations. The qualifying period is between 1 March 2016 and 28 February 2017.
Top 10 SAMA 23 Record of the Year finalists
- AKA – One Time
- Amanda Black – Amazulu
- Babes Wodumo – Wololo (featuring Mampintsha)
- Black Coffee feat Shekinah – Your Eyes
- DJ Clock feat Prom Knights – Wolves
- Kwesta – Ngud
- Locnville – Cold Shoulder
- Matthew Mole – Run
- Miss Pru DJ – Ameni
- Nasty C – Hell Naw
The main SAMA 23 event on 27 May 2017 will be broadcast live on SABC1 at 8pm.
- The annual South African Music Awards (SAMA) are organised by the Recording Industry of South Africa (RiSA)
- Sun City in the Province of Bokone Bophirima is the host of the 23rd edition of the SAMA, SABC is the official broadcast partner
- The SAMA23 awards show will be streamed live on (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sama-s/id1109255806?mt=8)on or (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app_sama2016.layout&hl=en )
- SAMA23 is brought to you in partnership with North West provincial government, Department of Arts and Culture, SAMPRA, CAPASSO, SAMRO, Ekurhuleni Municipality and Gauteng province.