Between 2014 and January 2020, K-Pop’s share of listening on Spotify increased by more than 1,800% and the K-Pop Daebak playlist now has more than 2.4 million followers. Since 2014, K-Pop music has been streamed for more than 134 billion minutes on Spotify.
And in 2015, Spotify launched an entire hub dedicated to K-Pop, which features playlists catering to the many facets of this exciting genre, from rising artists, to collaborations to original soundtrack recordings from Korean film and TV dramas, known as OSTs.
So how else is K-Pop Dominating?
· In 2019, BTS is the first group from Asia to surpass 5 billion streams on Spotify.
· As of February 2020, BTS have clocked more than 8 billion streams. So in 2019 alone, the group’s music streamed more than 3 billion times.
· In September 2017, BTS became the first K-Pop artist to enter Spotify’s Global 50 chart, with the track “DNA.”
· BTS has the most-streamed K-Pop track on Spotify: “Boy With Luv” featuring Halsey, with more than 380 million streams. The track was released in April 2019, so it took less than a year to become Spotify’s most-streamed K-Pop track.
Check out BTS’ MAP OF THE SOUL : 7 The Enhanced Album, an exclusive to Spotify and featuring original content directly from BTS.
“There’s no denying the massive global explosion of K-Pop over the last few years, and we’ve witnessed it first hand on Spotify,” says Kossy Ng, Head of Artist and Label Marketing in Asia. “This is truly the first Asian music genre to resonate so well with a global audience. K-Pop fans are among the most passionate and active, and K-Pop fandom – the way fans function, communicate and connect with one another – is like no other. There’s no doubt that K-Pop’s immense popularity will only continue to grow, and we’re excited to continue driving discovery and connecting K-Pop artists to fans all over the world.”
Some additional notable stats:
· To date, there have been more than 41 billion K-Pop streams on Spotify
· 53% of K-Pop listeners are aged 18-24 and 73% of K-Pop listeners are female
· Spotify users around the world have added K-Pop songs to more than 96 million playlists
· K-Pop music streams in all 79 of the markets Spotify is in, and these countries are seeing notable growth (percentages represent increases in the rate of K-Pop streaming from Jan 2019- Jan 2020):
o Egypt – 33%
o Vietnam – 30%
o France – 13%
o Colombia – 8%
· The top-streamed K-Pop artists on Spotify are: BTS, BLACKPINK, EXO, TWICE and Red Velvet (see complete top ten below). BTS’s music has streamed more than 8 billion times on Spotify.
· The top-streamed K-Pop track on Spotify is the east-meets-west collaboration “Boy With Luv” from BTS and US singer-songwriter Halsey. The track has been streamed more than 380 million times (see complete top ten below).
The top ten K-Pop tracks on Spotify (from Jan 2014 – Jan 2020):
1. “Boy With Luv” – BTS, Halsey
2. “Kiss and Make Up” – BLACKPINK, Dua Lipa
3. “FAKE LOVE” – BTS
4. “Kill This Love” – BLACKPINK
5. “DNA” – BTS
6. “DDU-DU DDU-DU” – BLACKPINK
7. “Blood Sweat & Tears” – BTS
8. “Gangnam Style (강남스타일)” – PSY
9. “SOLO” – JENNIE
10. “As If It’s Your Last” – BLACKPINK