- The world’s most popular music streaming service is available to all from today
- Over 35m songs offering the very best in South African and international music
- Revolutionary discovery and personalisation features
13 March, 2018: Spotify, the largest global music streaming subscription service, officially launches today in South Africa, offering a revolutionary and unrivalled music experience tuned to your personal taste.
With a worldwide community of over 159 million music fans, Spotify offers users the choice of a free ad-supported service, or an ad-free Premium subscription service. Users can listen for free forever, or alternatively can upgrade to Spotify Premium for the ultimate Spotify experience for only R59.99 per month*.
Spotify allows you to browse, discover, curate playlists, build your own music collection and share music with friends. With a catalogue of over 35 million songs all available to both free users and subscribers, Spotify comes to South Africa offering the very best in both local and international music.
“Spotify is very excited to announce our launch in South Africa today. We have had the continent in our sights for a while and are finally able to offer South African fans access to all the music they already love on Spotify, while helping them to enjoy, discover and share new music from both local and international artists simply and easily.” said Michael Krause, Spotify MD, EMEA.
The best playlists
Spotify delivers music for every taste and mood. South African users have instant access to a wide range of local playlists expertly curated and regularly updated by our team of music experts, including Hip Hop Juice, Top Hits South Africa, House Nation, iGqom Le and SA Gold, alongside millions of Spotify and fan-built international playlists.
Unique music personalisation and discovery features
A major feature of the Spotify service is its personalisation, which allows fans to find the music they already love with ease, and will also help them discover new music and artists to love, based on their taste and listening patterns. When a new user joins Spotify, we take them through a ‘Taste Onboarding’ process, which helps Spotify quickly learn more about your music tastes. .
Personalised discovery features including Daily Mix (a series of playlists combining your favourite tracks with new songs we think you’ll love), Release Radar (a playlist of new music based on the artists you follow and listen to most, updated every Friday) and Discover Weekly (a playlist based on your unique listening habits – coming soon) mean you’re never more than a moment away from the music you love.
Listen while you play
With Spotify available on PlayStation Music™, you have a special way to enjoy streaming music on your PlayStation 4 while gaming. You can listen to any song, album or playlist on demand, or even control Spotify through the Quick Menu without interrupting the game.
Spotify also offers:
- Mood and genre playlist hubs: head to Browse to choose from wide range of hubs including Workout, Chill, Party, Focus, Gaming, Sleep, Dinner, Kids and many more.
- Automatic low bitrate streaming in South Africa: Spotify’s default setting for data streaming in South Africa is 24kbps, perfect if you’re streaming when not on wifi**.
- Offline listening for Premium users: simply ‘download’ your music to your mobile device or desktop when you’re online to enjoy while you’re offline.
- High audio quality for Premium users – up to 320 kbps.
- Superior social features:
- Unique sharing integration via Facebook and Twitter
- Share and make collaborative playlists within Facebook Messenger
- Share your own playlists and favourite songs from the app and become an influencer in your own right
- Charts: Global streaming charts. South Africa charts coming soon.
- Play everywhere: download the Spotify app on mobile, laptop and tablet
- Listen everywhere: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth speakers, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Bose, TV, Google Chromecast, Sony PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 consoles, Microsoft Xbox, Samsung, Google Home, Waze, Carplay and many others.
- Background play: the music never stops on your mobile, even when you run the app in the background.
Globally, Spotify has changed the way artists connect with music fans. Musicians want their music heard and Spotify has succeeded in introducing artists to millions of people the world over.
In addition, Spotify has delivered more than €8 billion to the music industry since first launching in 2008. Following the South Africa launch, and the launches today in Vietnam, Romania and Israel, Spotify is now available in 65 markets worldwide.
To enjoy music the way you want it, download the app today via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com.
*Ways to pay:
Credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Amex
Debit cards: Visa & Mastercard
Enjoy a 30-day free trial when signing up for Spotify Premium with a credit or debit card.
**Spotify’s default data streaming setting for South Africa is 24kbps
To give you a comparison, Spotify uses 10.8 megabytes per hour of data while streaming music, compared with 43.2MB per hour as the lowest reported data consumption rate available to other music streaming services, according to Android Central.
And for when you are on wifi and want to stream at high quality rates, Spotify also offers data streaming at 96kbps, 160kbps and 320kbps (for Premium users)
Spotify’s new curated playlists for South Africa
- Top Hits South Africa
- New Music Friday SA
- Hip Hop Juice
- Sunday Praise
- Gospel Greatness
- House Nation
- iGqom Le
- Rock Essentials
- Made in South Africa
- Beste Pop
- Maskandi Favourites
- The Hip Hop Circle
- Chilled Vibez
- Sunday Feels
- Feel Good Look Good
- Nine 2 Five
- Gym Beats
- That Party Feeling
- City Back 2 Kasi
- SA Gold
Spotify in numbers:
- Over 159 million active users
- Over 71 million subscription users
- Over 35m tracks in the catalogue
- Over 2 billion playlists available
- Over €8 billion paid to rights holders since launch in October 2008
- Now available across 65 markets including South Africa
Spotify Free: Listen free on mobile, tablet and computer
- Full catalogue access
- Enjoy a wide range of features for free including expertly curated, personalised playlists, background play and charts
- Mobile: listen to any artist, album or playlist on your mobile phone for free (Android and iPhone)
- Desktop/tablet: access to the full Spotify catalogue on desktop and tablet for free
- Access to every playlist from our local experts and our worldwide community of music fans. Over 2 billion in total!
- Create playlists and share instantly with friends on Spotify, Facebook, Twitter, text and email.
Spotify Premium: the very best Spotify has to offer. Take your music offline. Play any song, anytime. No skip restrictions. No ads. All for only R59.99 per month.
- On-demand music with zero ad interruptions on your computer, phone and tablet
- High quality streaming (320kbps)
- Listen offline
- Use Spotify Connect to play Spotify on your connected speaker, TV and car.
- A free 30-day Spotify Premium trial is available if you register with a credit card.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music.
Discover, manage, and share over 35 million tracks for free, or upgrade to Spotify Premium to access exclusive features including offline mode, improved sound quality, Spotify Connect and ad-free listening.
Today, we are the world’s largest global music streaming subscription service with a community of over 159 million users, including over 71 million Spotify Premium subscribers, across 65 markets.