25th Anniversary Edition Airs Monday 11 April at 20:30 Cat on MTV
Johannesburg/Lagos, 10 April 2016: South African actress Charlize Theron won “Best Female Performance” for her role in “Mad Max: Fury Road” while “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” took home the trophy for “Movie of the Year” at the 25th anniversary edition of the “MTV Movie Awards.
Held Saturday night outdoors for the first time ever on the Warner Bros. Studios backlot in Burbank, California, more than 2,000 screaming fans and Hollywood’s hottest turned out to see hosts Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, performers Ariana Grande and Halsey, and many, many more take the stage to honour the year’s fan-favourite films and stars.
The “2016 MTV Movie Awards” premieres across Africa on Monday 11 April, with the red carpet pre-show beginning at 20:30 CAT and main show at 22:00 CAT on MTV (DStv channel 130).
The “2016 MTV Movie Awards” built on the show’s reputation for wild and visually stunning moments. Hosts Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart entered through the crowd on a flaming “Mad Max”-style war rig, escorted by an entourage of drum-pounding war boys. Ryan Reynolds received a surprise serenade by hip hop legends Salt-N-Pepa of their classic “Shoop” – featured in his film “Deadpool” – as he accepted the award for “Best Comedic Performance”. And comedy trio The Lonely Island kicked it old school in half-buckled overalls for a medley of MTV Generation Award-winner Will Smith’s greatest hits.
The evening also included exclusive sneak peeks at highly anticipated films “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Captain America: Civil War” and the world premiere of the Blitz Trailer for “Suicide Squad.”
The winners of the “2016 MTV Movie Awards” are:
- Movie Of The Year: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
- MTV Generation Award: Will Smith
- Comedic Genius Award: Melissa McCarthy
- True Story: “Straight Outta Compton” (Universal Pictures)
- Documentary: “Amy”
- Best Female Performance: Charlize Theron, “Mad Max: Fury Road” (Warner Bros.)
- Best Male Performance: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant” (20th Century Fox)
- Breakthrough Performance: Daisy Ridley, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
- Best Comedic Performance: Ryan Reynolds, “Deadpool” (20th Century Fox)
- Best Action Performance: Chris Pratt, “Jurassic World” (Universal Pictures)
- Best Hero: Jennifer Lawrence, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2” (Lionsgate)
- Best Villain: Adam Driver, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
- Best Virtual Performance: Amy Poehler, “Inside Out” (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
- >Ensemble Cast: “Pitch Perfect 2” (Universal Pictures)
- Best Kiss: Rebel Wilson & Adam DeVine, “Pitch Perfect 2” (Universal Pictures)
- Best Fight: Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) vs. Ajax (Ed Skrein), “Deadpool” (20th Century Fox)
For further information on 2016 MTV Movie Awards, please go to www.mtv.co.za or www.mtvbase.co.za, like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mtvza or www.Facebook.com/MTVBaseVerified or follow @MTVAfrica and @MTVBaseAfrica on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #MovieAwards.
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of nearly 785 million households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all platforms.