An interesting producer I’ve come to know, who I met through Veli Musique and Sbu Romeo, is Maverick Mali. I use the word interesting because of his music style. My introduction to him was through his Deep House music production but something that really impressed me was his mixes on Ms Cosmo’s radio show and those are not a joke, there’s a certain quality and skill you need to impress Ms Cosmo.
Tell us a little bit about yourself?
– Well Malibongwe Mbatha is a 22 year old boy who grew up from the small town of Hammarsdale around Durban. Moved to the city when I was in Primary school. In a family of 5, my sister and I got the creative brains and my other siblings got the book brains (laughs).
When did you fall in love with music?
– I refuse to give you the cliché answer but it is what it is, my dad was in a band until of course he had to grow up and work. So music was always playing at home and I guess when I saw and heard my father’s collection of Jazz vinyls and cd’s I fell in love.
When did you decide you want to contribute to the music industry and focus on a career in music?
– I remember clearly, it was my sister’s 21st birthday party and I was in grade 8. They weren’t too many DJs back than so this was a fairly new thing. When I saw and realized how much positive power and control of energy DJs have over a group of people I instantly new that this is what I have to do for the rest of my life.
So why DJ in 1 genre and produce in another genre?
– What many people don’t know is that I’ve been making hip-hop beats since high school days, House music just connected with me. Well to answer your question I’ve always been a believer of “you can do whatever the f* you want to do with your life“. So it never made sense for me to limit myself to one genre whereas I am skilled in both. Listen man I might even start singing R&B in the next 10 years, (laughs).
Quick side question:
Producing or DJing?
Hip Hop or House?
You were recently in JHB to play live on Ms Cosmo’s show, how was the experience?
– Experience was surreal and humbling man. Thing is a year ago I was sitting at home, watching the YouTube videos of her show and look what God decided to do (laughs). I mean it came with a lot of pressure too cause Junior De Rocka and I are the only Durban DJ’s to play live on #TheStirUp, so I had to make sure I rocked.
Are you planning to go back to JHB anytime soon?
– Joburg is ultimately the city of dreams man, I have to come back. Infact this weekend I’ve been booked there for a huge ass party #TheLinkUp.
Interesting, so what can people expect from your set at the #TheLinkUp?
– Of course a whole lot Local music man!!! More importantly they must expect my signature “ultimixing” and I’m really keen on dropping a couple of classics too man.
Who are you excited to see play there or meet?
– Man I’m just excited to meet & get LIT with the beautiful people of Joburg.
Well if you don’t believe his mixes on Ms Cosmo’s show, head threw to #TheLinkUp to see him live.
— Yule (@YuleD) January 10, 2016